About Me

My photo

Once a padawan, now a freaking Jedi. I run really far, I write a bunch, and have super powers that allow me to grow amazing facial hair.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Dangers of Over Training

One of the biggest dangers to your running is OVER TRAINING.

How can you train too much for an ultramarathon you ask? Well it's way easier than you think.

Ahh, Shit. Now How Do I Get Back Home?
Why You Do It

  1. Lack of trust in a good training plan. You're a rookie and can't pick just one thing. You try to do them all.
  2. Addiction. You're in love. I get it, but just like your fling in the 6th grade didn't work out long term, neither will the way your training.
  3. Lack of common sense. You don't rest or know when to take it easy, running through those aches and pains that are meant to be natural warnings to ease off the throttle.
Tony Didn't Know When To Stop Either...

3 Ways Over Training Kills Your Race
  1. You get "overuse injuries" like tendonitis, stress fractures, shin splints, and muscle strains.
  2. You lose your motivation for running and your sight on the race goal.
  3. You plateau, not getting any faster or stronger. Then you backslide.
How To Prevent It
  1. Have a solid but reasonable training plan that starts out slow, peaks, and then has room for tapering... Oh yeah. AND FOLLOW IT.
  2. Cross train and be creative. Have other low impact activities that you can use to supplement running. Don't always run for training... throw in a few that have no agenda for time, pace, distance, etc.
  3. Listen to your body. If you tweak an ankle, knee, muscle, or anything else then you need to take care of it. No one likes paying a huge registration fee, booking hotel rooms, and putting in for PTO just to get injured and not be able to run. 
The Long Term Danger If You Ignore the Preventable

If you pack in the runs, constantly training, constantly racing you will burn out... plain and simple. In 2011 I registered for 12 races. All of them were marathons or longer. I had a great Spring season, set personal records for two distances and then finished my longest race to date. Then I started sliding. My running became sporadic. My commitment waned. That Fall I went to the starting line of a race that I ended up not running, didn't even show up for three that I had paid to do, had one of my worst marathon times ever, and then dropped out of another. I had pushed too hard, then I paid the price.

Everyone has periods of ups and downs in their training and their racing, but if you want to be successful, you need to be consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment