About Me

My photo

Once a padawan, now a freaking Jedi. I run really far, I write a bunch, and have super powers that allow me to grow amazing facial hair.

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Team RWB Trail Running Camp 2013

This weekend I had the privilege and honor to spend some time up at Camp Eagle in Rocksprings, TX to attend Team RWB's annual trail running camp.

For those of you who don't know, I have been running for Team RWB for about a year now as a veteran athlete. It's a great organization that's purpose is to create communities of veterans and supportive civilians through interaction in physical and social activities.






They Brought Me On Board Because
Of The Beard...

To read my story of how I became involved with Team RWB, go here.

The camp was like nothing I had ever heard of before as an ultrarunner. Dozens of the sports most elite runners would be in attendance... Sage Canaday, Liza Howard, Darcy Africa, Matt Hart, Nikki Kimball, and more. There would be clinics, workshops, training runs, and classes... all with the majority of attendees being military veterans pursuing their own passion for trail running.

All of this would take place at one of my favorite places in Texas, Camp Eagle. This would be my fourth trip to the camp, my first visit was to run one of the most challenging 50K's I have ever run, the Nueces 50K. Read my race report here.

I took my wife Mikayla and baby boy Connor to join in the action. Connor had his first birthday celebration while we were in attendance, keeping in step with his already present ultrarunning pedigree. The weekend also saw the celebration of the celebration of both the Marine Corps 238th birthday and of course Veteran's Day... all near and dear to my heart.

Gettin' It On The Trails.
Though my participation in the activities at camp were significantly limited in light of the realities of having a baby that wants and demands constant attention, it was a great way to spend the weekend, with my family in a beautiful place with fellow veterans and trail runners.

The highlight for me was Nikki Kimball's presentation on Saturday night about how she battles depression through her pursuit to become one of the best female ultrarunners the sport has ever seen. The presentation hit home, as the sport has been my therapy through my struggles with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and that I now work in a professional capacity to show my fellow wounded warriors how to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment